Class: Main Battle Tank
Vehicles Built: cca 50
The Tiran 6 Main Battle Tank is a captured Egyptian or Syrian T-62 in Israeli service with a few Israeli modifications. The name "Tiran" has several possible origins according to Israeli sources. For one, it means "dictator" (tyrant) in Hebrew and the tanks were USSR-made, allegedly a reference to Iosif Stalin. The second theory mentions the blockade of the Straits of Tiran was one of Egypt's first acts of war prior to the Six-Day War and, last but not least, the first letter of both the original tank designation and the word Tiran is T.
After the devastating losses of the Six-Day War, Syria and Egypt decided to arm themselves with the best the Soviets had to offer, the T-62 MBT. Between 1971 and 1973, around 700 tanks of this type were sold to the Middle East. Many of these were captured in the aftermath of the 1973 Yom Kippur war. By that time, the T-62 was recognized as a powerful and deadly opponent and the Israelis were never the ones to squander good captured vehicles. And so the captured or salvaged T-62s entered Israeli service under the designation of Tiran 6.
Unlike the captured T-54 and T-55 tanks, the T-62s were not extensively modified. Contrary to some sources, the vehicles did not have their engines replaced by Detroit Diesel ones, nor did they receive any advanced equipment such as thermal imagers. The Fire Control System was not upgraded either.
Having to rely on captured stocks, the tank was never really a first line vehicle. Israel kept an unknown (but relatively low) number in service with reserve units for roughly a decade. It seems some of them might have seen some combat during the 1982 Operation Peace for Galilee because a few were upgraded with the Blazer ERA kit. They were phased out of active service shortly after the operation and most were scrapped.
- Armored: This vehicle's armor can withstand a lot of punishment, allowing it to survive even serious firefights.
- Heavy Weapon: This vehicle carries one of the largest weapons around with significantly increased damage per shot.
- Improved Progression: This vehicle earns extra Experience, allowing you to progress faster in the game.
- High Alpha Damage: This vehicle has a higher damage per shot value than other vehicles of this Tier.
- Early ERA: This is one of the earliest vehicles that can be equipped with a set of Explosive Reactive Armor, making it more resistant to HEAT shells and ATGMs.
- Smoke Generators: This vehicle generates smoke all around it and lays down smoke cover by driving forward.
|115mm 3UBM3 APFSDS||APFSDS||Stock||420||455[note 1] mm||1580 m/s||7.60 s|
|100mm 3UBM4 APFSDS||APFSDS||1,500||450||505[note 2] mm||1620 m/s||7.60 s|
|115mm 3UOF1 HE||HE||Stock||675[note 3]||40 mm||750 m/s||7.60 s|
|100mm 3UBK3 HEAT||HEAT||1,600||585||600 mm||900 m/s||7.60 s|
|7.62mm AP||AP||Stock||8||18[note 4] mm||855 m/s||5.00 s|
|XP Cost||Credit Cost||Hull
|Stock||Stock||450 mm (vs AP)
580 mm (vs HEAT)
|Steel||715 mm (vs AP)
745 mm (vs HEAT)
|Steel||N/A||N/A vs AP|
N/A vs HEAT
|This MBT features basic sheet armor without any advanced components, making it vulnerable to HEAT shells and ATGMs.|
|Name||XP Cost||Credit Cost||Aim Time||Reload Time||More Info|
|115mm 2A20 Molot Smoothbore Cannon||Stock||Stock||1.80 s||7.60 s|
115mm 3UBM3 APFSDS
115mm 3UBM4 APFSDS
115mm 3UOF1 HE
115mm 3UBK3 HEAT
- 455 mm at 150m;
342 mm at 500m
- 505 mm at 150m;
379 mm at 500m
- 190 for Partial Penetration;
48 for Non-Penetrating Hits
- 18 mm at 100m;
9 mm at 1000m