Class: Indirect Fire Support Vehicle
Vehicles Built: estimated 10-12
This strange-looking vehicle was (unlike many other such conversions) officially built in Kharkov to be used by the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the Donbass conflict. It consists of two main components, a Strela-10 hull and two B-8 aircraft rocket pods firing 80mm S-8 rockets. The Strela-10 is a surface-to-air missile system built on the MT-LB universal armored carrier chassis. The idea behind it was to provide the Soviet forces with a highly mobile non-all-weather (and thus more affordable) anti-air capability but the results weren’t as good as the Soviets had hoped and the Strela didn’t see service until 1976. All in all, it saw some use in several conflicts that involved air forces, most notably Operation Desert Storm.
The B-8 unguided missile pod was developed roughly around the same time as the Strela system – for helicopters and ground attack aircraft. There are a number of S-8 rocket types including HE, and HEAT with additional FRAG effect. The pods were widely produced and used all over the Soviet Union. The Ukrainians intended this combination as a makeshift artillery rocket launcher, targeting entire areas instead of specific tanks or objects. The Strela S-8 vehicles appeared first probably around 2015 with a few photos and videos of it firing available on the internet. It’s not known how many were built (perhaps a dozen), but they are most certainly operational.
- Stealthy: This vehicle does not lose any camouflage when moving at any speed, which is handy primarily for scouting.
- Designate Target: This vehicle has the ability to designate targets that are within its line of sight. Designated targets are marked to other players and take increased damage.
- Missiles Only: This vehicle is only armed with anti-tank guided missiles or unguided rockets, making it only viable in mid-to-long-range combat, since both are often difficult to aim at short distances.
- Unguided Rockets: This vehicle can fire rockets that, unlike ATGMs, cannot be guided once in flight.
- Recon Package: This vehicle's set of advanced optics provides an improved vision range when stationary.
- Missile Salvo: This vehicle may fire multiple ATGMs or unguided rockets in a short period of time, potentially overwhelming enemy defenses such as the APS.
- Smoke Generators: This vehicle generates smoke all around it and lays down smoke cover by driving forward.
|80mm S-8KO Rocket||RCKT||Stock||300[note 1]||420 mm||450 m/s||60.00 s|
|XP Cost||Credit Cost||Hull
|Stock||Stock||50 mm (vs AP)
65 mm (vs HEAT)
|Steel||80 mm (vs AP)
105 mm (vs HEAT)
|Steel||N/A||N/A vs AP|
N/A vs HEAT
|This vehicle's light armor offers basic protection from autocannons and machineguns.|
|Name||XP Cost||Credit Cost||Aim Time||Reload Time||More Info|
|80mm S-8 Launcher||Stock||Stock||4.00 s||60.00 s|
80mm S-8KO Rocket
|Name||XP Cost||Credit Cost||Max Speed||Reverse Speed||Forward
|Hull Traverse||Fire Chance|
|YaMZ-238ND8 300 hp Diesel Engine||Stock||Stock||60 km/h||25 km/h||2.20 s (0 to 32 km/h)
6.29 s (0 to Max Speed)
- 105 for Non-Penetrating Hits